“Button Battery” burns through child’s throat

“Button Battery” burns through child’s throat

CINCINNATI (Rich Jaffe) — They power many of the things people use every day but every year nearly 3,500 people are injured because of the tiny power cells.


Doctors at Cincinnati’s Children’s Hospital work miracles almost every day. August 27 they will use a piece of a little boy’s rib to rebuild his throat. But it’s how the child got injured that should be a wake-up call to parents everywhere. A tiny battery almost killed him.

The tiny lithium batteries are everywhere, in watches, remote control units, clocks, etc. They’re so small they’re called ‘button batteries’ and as useful as they are, in the hands or mouths of small children they can be deadly.

One day before another surgery at Cincinnati’s Children’s hospital, 4-year-old Emmett Rauch and his mom joined his doctors to talk about an all too hidden danger, The tiny lithium batteries known as button batteries.

Choking back tears, Karla Rauch, Emmett’s mom, explained, “When we tried to do research on it there was nothing out there about it. Just a small article by the National Poison Control and that’s when we decided this is what our mission is.”

Barely 1-year-old at the time, Emmett swallowed one of the quarter size batteries. Lodged in his throat, no one knew what was wrong.

Karla continued, “We ended up taking him to an urgent care because it was a Saturday and they sent us home with a cold diagnosis, saying it’s one of those things that was going to get worse before it gets better.” But things got much worse. Two days later Emmett was in an emergency room. His mom said, “And an x-ray was taken and they could see the button battery lodged in his esophagus. They could actually see the serial number on the battery in the x-ray.”

“The battery virtually burned through Emmett’s throat and almost killed him. He was left unable to breath, eat or speak on his own. To give the public some idea just how dangerous the batteries can be to a child Local 12 decided to do a little bit of an experiment.

At about 11:30a.m. Local 12 put two of the batteries between a couple slices of ham. Half an hour later the outline of one battery could be seen and after an hour both were visible.

The batteries do damage to tissue both through their acid and their electrical charge. Six hours after Local 12 put the batteries between the slices of ham they had almost burned holes through the meat.

A person can only imagine what that would be like lodged in a child’s throat.

The one that Emmett swallowed popped out of the family’s DVD remote control unit. The lesson clearly was do everything possible to keep these out of the hands of children.

Karla Rauch is working with some legislators to pass requirements that battery covers on things like remote control units are held in place with screws rather than just springs.

A swallowed button battery. 65 surgeries. Boy, 5, now breathes easier

A swallowed button battery. 65 surgeries. Boy, 5, now breathes easier

By Susan Donaldson James

The medical journey for 5-year-old Emmett Rauch has consumed nearly his entire life. But Emmett is now on the soccer field — and eating and talking again after enduring 65 surgeries. In 2010, when barely 1, he swallowed a nickel-sized, lithium battery from a DVD remote, burning his esophagus and closing off his airway. You may recall reading about Emmett’s fight to recover last summer when surgeons rebuilt his esophagus using part of his colon, and opened his paralyzed vocal chords. In December 2014, he had his tracheostomy tube removed, and now everyone, including Emmett, is breathing easier.

Emmett’s fight to live turned his mother, Karla Rauch, into an activist to spread awareness about the dangers of button, coin and cell batteries. Each year, more than 3,500 kids are treated in emergency rooms — and 15 have died in the last six years — after swallowing the tiny objects. Karla tells her story with the help of TODAY contributor Susan Donaldson James.

Emmett had just had his first birthday. It was a Saturday, and we noticed he had a fever and was coughing, but there had been no choking episode. The doctor said it was just a cold and had to run its course. But he was lethargic and crying every time he tried to eat.

The Rauch family

The Rauch family: Karla and Michael and their children Emmett, 5, and Ethan, 7.Today

On the following Tuesday, when Emmett coughed and blood came up, we called the pediatrician. I was freaking out. She said it sounded like croup and sent us home. But as I was walking to the car, the pediatrician came out and said, ‘I have this feeling — send him to the ER.’

They took an X-ray and when the radiologist came out, he said it was a button battery. He could even read the battery’s serial number. Emmett was rushed by ambulance to Phoenix Children’s Hospital. I remember running as I signed the consent form.

After a three-hour surgery, the surgeon said it looked like a ‘firecracker had gone off’ in Emmett’s esophagus. It was lodged a centimeter above the aorta and they couldn’t tell if he’d survive. At that moment, we fell apart. How did we not know? And where did he get the battery?

It was a scary night. His heart stopped and they revived him. The battery had come from the remote control from our DVD player. The back had just popped right off.

Emmett lived in the ICU for eight months in 2011, and there were times when we thought he would pass away. It was very humbling to watch him, because he has this fighting spirit. He stole the hearts of all the nurses and doctors with his beautiful smile.

Emmett Rauch X-ray
An X-ray of the nickel-sized button battery that Emmett Rauch swallowed. Surgeons said it went “off like a firecracker” in his esophagus.Today

He had 13 major surgeries, six of those at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. The last one, they took half his stomach to recreate his esophagus, but the tissue was so damaged it didn’t hold up. They ended up stapling the bottom half of his esophagus outside his neck for three months, then put in a gastric or feeding tube to give him food and water.

In 2012, they referred us to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center for a really rare surgery— they removed his entire esophagus and replaced it with his colon. In another operation, they took two inches from his rib cartilage to open up his vocal chords, which were paralyzed.

It’s one of the hardest things I have ever been through. But we had a really great support system and a strong faith in God. Every day, even when he was in a medical coma, we would talk positively to him: ‘Emmett, you can do this.’

Emmett as a baby at Phoenix Children's Hospital
Emmett Rauch in the ICU at Phoenix Children’s Hospital in 2010 after swallowing a button battery from a DVD remote.Today

We went online to find support and there was very little, only a paragraph by the National Poison Control Center. While we were in the hospital in Phoenix, a Hispanic boy was flown in from Yuma and he had the exact same thing, but there was a language barrier involving his family and the staff. The social worker asked if I would be comfortable talking to his mother. I broke down in tears because, I realized, this had become our mission. So we started an awareness campaign coordinating with Safe Kids and National Poison Control.

In homes, button batteries are now listed among on the top 10 items that parents should monitor to keep their kids safe. The injuries caused by swallowing them are preventable. Almost everyone has things like remotes and key fobs in their homes, and the batteries inside can be lethal.

See more: https://www.today.com/health/swallowed-button-battery-65-surgeries-boy-5-now-breathes-easier-1D80416482